micca - MICrobial Community Analysis¶
micca (MICrobial Community Analysis) is a software pipeline for the processing of amplicon sequencing data, from raw sequences to OTU tables, taxonomy classification and phylogenetic tree inference. The pipeline can be applied to a range of highly conserved genes/spacers, such as 16S rRNA gene, Internal Transcribed Spacer (ITS) and 28S rRNA.
For more information, visit http://micca.org/.
- supports single-end (Roche 454, Illumina MiSeq/HiSeq ,Ion Torren) as well overlapping paired-end reads (Illumina MiSeq/HiSeq);
- multithread de novo greedy clustering as well closed-reference and open-reference OTU picking protocols are available;
- state-of-the-art taxonomic classification algorithms are available (RDP and consensus-based classifier);
- fast (multithread) and and memory efficient implementation of the NAST multiple sequence alignment (MSA);
- filter low quality sequences according to the maximum allowed expected error (EE) rate %;
- simple, easy to use.
Davide Albanese, Paolo Fontana, Carlotta De Filippo, Duccio Cavalieri and Claudio Donati. MICCA: a complete and accurate software for taxonomic profiling of metagenomic data. Scientific Reports 5, Article number: 9743 (2015), doi:10.1038/srep09743. Link.
micca wraps third party software packages and these should be cited if they are used:
- VSEARCH used in
- MUSCLE (doi: 10.1093/nar/gkh340) used in
- FastTree (doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0009490) used in the
- Cutadapt (doi: 10.14806/ej.17.1.200) used in the
- RDP classifier (doi:10.1128/AEM.00062-07) used in the